- Almost all GM crops involve just 2 traits, mainly just 1 trait – herbicide tolerance.
- Herbicide tolerance is found in over 80% of all GM crops planted worldwide.
- GM crops have contributed substantially to increased pesticide use.
- Most new GM crop varieties coming through the pipeline are also pesticide-promoting.
- GM crops have caused an epidemic of herbicide-resistant weeds.
- This is encouraging the use of more toxic petsicides, including ones banned in some European countries.
- "All those dreams... the blind will see, the lame will walk... has turned out to be science fiction. They are basically chemical companies selling more chemicals." – Andrew Kimbrell, lawyer and executive director of the Center for Food Safety
Do GM crops reduce pesticide use?